Monday 9 January 2012

Day 2; What my blog will be about.

I am sitting at the McDonald's not far from the Olympic Oval in Calgary.  I drove my son (our oldest of 4 kids) to his twice weekly skating practise with the short track Oval Program.  This is his second year in the program and his second year on the provincial team.  I have some time to reflect, check emails and work on my blog.

A little about myself:  I started speed skating in the fall of 1968 as a four year old in Regina, Saskatchewan.  The club was formed in 1967 and our family joined the next year.  I remember skating up and down the side of the outdoor oval and I was already hooked; the freedom of movement that skating brings was in my veins for good.  I began skating and competing the next year.

My blog will be about items relating to coaching, equipment and my experience as a skater.  I will be posting information soon on how to sharpen skates.  Rather than one big long lesson, I will divide the instruction and post them as I complete them.  Look for "How to set up skates properly for sharpening".  When I have completed all modules on sharpening, I will repost them as one full lesson.

Also, I will give information about some of the programming that I do for coaching in our club including drills for short track.  My main focus in this area is safety first and performance second.  Hope you'll come back and check out my blog again.

No comments:

Post a Comment